1,000kms endurance race.

Forum for discussing motorsport events & participation
Andy G

Re: 1,000kms endurance race.

Post by Andy G » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:38 pm

it was about £1500+ per team for the entry - but i did one 1hr 40 min stint and would have been on for another.

Really, really good fun - had we finished it would probably have been my best day Lotusing about yet.

After a while you are having to look after the car, as you dont want to ruin the tyres in addition to not killing the car. I tended to save it for passes that were needed very quickly. Its also nice having a team as opposed to the normal race where you are out on your own.

You do have some great scraps though, but i was also trying to think about the long game -i.e. although i started really well, i didnt want to get tagged early on, so was ready to try and keep away from cars in other classes and focus on my own race. It served me well.

Couldnt believe how long i was out for tbh. I know Brands pretty well now - doing it on the GP track would have almost doubled the cost :shock:
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

Scotty C
Meat

Post by Scotty C » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:03 pm

I recon Glenn, (the car/team owner) spent at least about £20k racing over the weekend.

A lot was car prep, new bearings, ball joints, bushes, gearbox rebuild with new diff. Fuel system was approx £4k plus fitting. 2 new sets of wheels. Essex motorsport really did a great job with prepping the car and setting up the garage. Full comms @ £2.5k system which was immense. Really nice to talk to the pits during the race, Jamie told me to pick up the pace half way throu my stint, managed to get 0.5 second a lap quicker without using the kerbs overcooking the brakes etc. As andy said it is a different type of racing. We had 4 mechanics on Friday for testing and Qually then 6 on Saturday for the race. :shock:

He had about 8 rooms in the hotel for guests, sponsors, drivers etc and hospitality suit looking over the whole track with food, drink (guess where I went once the car broke)

This really is the opposite end of the scale from what im used to, fingers crossed something will come out of it.

Scotty C
"Here for a good time not a long time"

gambler

Post by gambler » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:43 pm

Sounds like you guys were doing brilliantly until the cars gave up. Good effort :thumbsup

I would love to do something like this too. A group of guys did from scoobyclinic did a 6 hour endurance team event in 6 cars.Not sure how long their stints were. Probably only enough fuel in the tanks for 45 mins or so. Sounded like a blast too. Hopefully something will come out of it for you Scotty.

I just hope you guys did not catch my curse of engine failure. :oops:
S1 Elise - Shed spec
330d - Dog carrying spec
640d - Grown up spec
Astravan Sportive SE - Supervan spec

Scotty C
Meat

Post by Scotty C » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:34 am

gambler wrote:I just hope you guys did not catch my curse of engine failure. :oops:
Its really spooky.

When my engine went at the start of the year Jamie was sitting next to me at Brands.

Glenn blew an engine earlier on in the year, at Brands.

everything comes in 3's

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:10 am

i think we might have a Mad person join "team Shed" for next year after my call last night :damnfunny :thumbsup
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

philthy

Post by philthy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:44 am

doing it again next year?

I'd love to do a 24hr endurance, watched brit car a few years back and just looks like such an awesome experience.
S1 Elige Audi 1.8T
S1 Elise Honda K20
VW T6.1 family bus

Scotty C
Meat

Post by Scotty C » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:43 am

if I dont get a paid seat next year I will be paying to be part of a team, it was great. :wink:

24h at the ring is on my to do before i die list :wink:

gambler

Post by gambler » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:30 pm

Scotty C wrote:Its really spooky.

When my engine went at the start of the year Jamie was sitting next to me at Brands.

Glenn blew an engine earlier on in the year, at Brands.
Do you think it may be oil surge killing the bottom end? I know Paddock Hill and Clark are notorious for oil surge in Subaru's. I had an engine go there last year.

I would love to do one of these endurance events. Nurburgring 24 is deffinately up there in my things to do list. Along with Gisele Bundchen. More chance on the Nurbrugring though :(
S1 Elise - Shed spec
330d - Dog carrying spec
640d - Grown up spec
Astravan Sportive SE - Supervan spec