Prison on Pistonheads

Anything goes in here.....
Gareth

Prison on Pistonheads

Post by Gareth » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:51 pm

Don't know if anyone has followed that thread but a very sobering topic.
Read this page:
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/to ... 42266&i=40

neil

Post by neil » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:02 pm

It certainly makes you think

kenny

Post by kenny » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:14 pm

I have been following the thread since it started.. and before that.

Although I have never met him personally I have been conversing online with Dan (10 Pence Short) since 2003 on the CTR forum. It was with people from that forum that Dan was on a run with when the accident happened. A run just like the ones we organise.

Certainly makes you think.

ExigeKen

Post by ExigeKen » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:29 pm

Gosh that is some story - certainly does make you stop and think
2004 Exige S2 1.8 - Ardent Red

2003 RAV4 vvti 2.0 - Baleric Blue shiny version

Don't Fear The Reaper

Back on the road!

ngaff1

Post by ngaff1 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:26 am

kenny wrote: A run just like the ones we organise.
Scary stuff :shock: how easy everything can change
Neil
Exige Sport 350

Victor Meldrew
Location: Unable to use location services. Please turn on your wifi....

Post by Victor Meldrew » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:43 am

Thats some headfcuk for you.
Well it moves... might as well make the most of it....

Rag_It

Post by Rag_It » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:49 am

Wow, good post G, although i have spent 2 hours of this evening reading that 24 pager.

I do, like Kenny, from my days of being a mod on CTR forum remember 10p and his often provoking posts, but that one post alone has made such an impact.

I don't have a fast car currently to go 'for a blast' and you are more likely to be the one overtaking me in the mud plugger, than the other way round!

Anyway that thread, the effect of a badly taken corner, resulting in loosing control of his car, a biker being left disabled, loss of freedom through resulting prison sentence, and everything else that has happened really makes you take a step back.

I know through having done a lot of road cycling over the last 18 months that my driving style has changed, i approach corners that i would have kept my foot planted and carried on smoothly through, now with a let loss speed. Maybe wrongly, but i have been on the end of cars nearly wiping me out, and it has for the better i think calmed me down when in the car, and thinking what could be round that next bend.

D

caleebra

Post by caleebra » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:25 am

It does make you think, for me not only about my own behaviour out on runs, but for example, in this situation was the biker also partly to blame? You could argue he was going too fast round the corner as he couldn't stop in time when presented with what could be described as a (near) stationary hazard. Does that mean we all need to live our lives in fear of what's around the corner?

The health and safety police would have you believe that accidents should never happen,and will never happen if you risk assess everything to death. But we'd never end up doing anything...

One thing that always troubles me when out on a run is what other drivers perceive, and you can imagine more often than not it is of lunatics racing in sports cars. That's probably what did it for the prosecutors in this case!
Lee
[flamesuit] VX220 owner[/flamesuit]

tenkfeet

Post by tenkfeet » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:26 am

I read it the other day , makes you think .

I think his sentance was quite hard , when you watch these "Road Wars "programes and the offenders get away with community service.

I feel very sorry for the biker to be involved in such a terrible accident and hope he can recover as much as possible. Sadly bike injuries are always bad due to their nature and he is lucky to be alive.

More track days next year for me .
No lotus
Exige Sport 350 (Sold)
Elise Cup 250 (Air con and radio tubby spec) (Sold)
Evora S (sold)

meatball

Post by meatball » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:18 am

caleebra wrote:It does make you think, for me not only about my own behaviour out on runs, but for example, in this situation was the biker also partly to blame? You could argue he was going too fast round the corner as he couldn't stop in time when presented with what could be described as a (near) stationary hazard. Does that mean we all need to live our lives in fear of what's around the corner?
Words fail me.......
Read page 6

Rag_It

Post by Rag_It » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:32 am

words failed me last night after all 24 pages!

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:34 am

:(
Sobering reading.
1994 Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress
1980 Porsche 924 Turbo - Funky Interior Spec
2004 Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:57 am

Good post this - shame about all the comments in amongst one of the best threads I've ever read.

Definately points out what could happen on a run if it were to all go wrong, or if you were to have annoyed motorists prior to an incident.

I thought about such a nightmare scenario during the last run i was on, and I suspect in future i will go on less TBH.

For the motorcylclist thats scant consolation for an event he had no wrong doing in and that has wrecked his life.
Last edited by Andy G on Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

caleebra

Post by caleebra » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:09 pm

meatball wrote:
caleebra wrote:It does make you think, for me not only about my own behaviour out on runs, but for example, in this situation was the biker also partly to blame? You could argue he was going too fast round the corner as he couldn't stop in time when presented with what could be described as a (near) stationary hazard. Does that mean we all need to live our lives in fear of what's around the corner?
Words fail me.......
Read page 6
I think you misunderstand me... I've read the whole thread a few times now... I am just asking the question. By the logic of the law, if you could not stop in time when presented with a hazard at the other side of a corner, does that mean you were travelling too fast?

I am not belittling what happened here or making any excuses for the car driver. Just asking a question. I wonder would the chap in question have been punished in such a way had he not been out on a run, overtaking traffic etc.
Lee
[flamesuit] VX220 owner[/flamesuit]

Gareth

Post by Gareth » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:11 pm

caleebra wrote:
meatball wrote:
Words fail me.......
Read page 6
I think you misunderstand me... I've read the whole thread a few times now... I am just asking the question. By the logic of the law, if you could not stop in time when presented with a hazard at the other side of a corner, does that mean you were travelling too fast?

I am not belittling what happened here or making any excuses for the car driver. Just asking a question. I wonder would the chap in question have been punished in such a way had he not been out on a run, overtaking traffic etc.
Arguing with a copper eh!
You're a marked man! :D