Colin McRae

Anything goes in here.....
tut
Barefoot Ninja

Colin McRae

Post by tut » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:45 am

I was disturbed to see the headline in the Sun yesterday, in fact the whole of the front page. I just hope that it is as accurate as their normal crap.

It stated that Colin did not have a Pilots Licence, it was two years out of date, and his Competency Check was six months out of date.

I did not buy the paper to read the rest, and have not seen it reported anywhere else.

tut

r055

Post by r055 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:02 pm

it was in the metro this morning...

they didnt want to say too much at this stage due to the air crash investigation
Calypso Red S1 111s

Titanium S1 111S (gla)

Post by Titanium S1 111S (gla) » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:33 pm

Hope that’s not true but even if it is flying/driving without a licence while irresponsible does not cause a crash. I would be more concerned if the maintenance records on the helicopter were not up-to-date.

Layman’s view.
Graham

Gareth

Post by Gareth » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:46 pm

Also, the other wee boy that was killed, "apparently" his parents did not know he was in the chopper.

woody

Post by woody » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:59 pm

I hope it's not true, but if he didn't bother with that, then it raises the question of what he did bother with. Very sad if true.

Scotty C
Meat

Post by Scotty C » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:26 pm

Gareth wrote:Also, the other wee boy that was killed, "apparently" his parents did not know he was in the chopper.
To be fair, thats just like taking other peoples kids out in the car is it not?
"Here for a good time not a long time"

Daveb

Post by Daveb » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:33 pm

Scotty C wrote:To be fair, thats just like taking other peoples kids out in the car is it not?
Not sure.

Going in a car is a everyday event. Surely if they were going to go in the helecopter the parents should at least be asked.

tenkfeet

Post by tenkfeet » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:05 pm

Best to wait until the official accident report comes out which will detail everything including pilots experience , licence and competency . I do not believe anything I read in the papers as they twist and comment on things they know nothing about .

http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/home/index.cfm
No lotus
Exige Sport 350 (Sold)
Elise Cup 250 (Air con and radio tubby spec) (Sold)
Evora S (sold)

GregR

Post by GregR » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:10 pm

:withstupid

Gents, in light of the respect I (and several others have on here) for Colin McRae, please don't turn this into a cauldron of speculation.

YvoTuk

Post by YvoTuk » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:11 pm

When it first happened, everybody was talking / writing about the high respect for detail Colin showed when he was flying his chopper. Everybody was tumbling over eachother to tell the world Colin wasn't flying his helicopter in the same style in which he drove his (rallye)cars.

FFS, the man has just been buried, is it necessary to do a full page to blaim a dead man for his own death and that of three others?

Disgusting!

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:44 pm

Unfortunately Yvo that is what newspapers do, and the Rags are always the first to make sure that they print the worse news that they can.

My concern is the effect that this would have upon his family and friends, as people just read the headlines and condemn without any knowledge of what it actually means or what is involved.

As this has now come into the open, I think that the AAIB would be wise to put out a statement ahead of the results of the cause of the crash so that the speculation goes no further.

A fair bet is that the accident is now yesterdays news, but after this, the Paparazzi will already be hounding the family again.

I agree though that we should not speculate on here, which I was not doing, just posting what had been printed and that is going to cause a lot of grief.

tut

ExigeKen

Post by ExigeKen » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:00 pm

Thats awful. Why cant we just leave people alone.

I hate this type of nonesense and The Sun is the worst of a bad lot. It has a track record of treating the dead will ill respect. I am responsible for it not being sold in the shop at my work.
2004 Exige S2 1.8 - Ardent Red

2003 RAV4 vvti 2.0 - Baleric Blue shiny version

Don't Fear The Reaper

Back on the road!

andy_snap

Post by andy_snap » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:36 pm

I have, until now, been keeping out of the anti-media rants on this forum.

I have worked for The Sun for the past 20 years and have covered many of the big stories that have happened here in Scotland including Lockerbie, Dunblane,Maddie McCann and the McRae tragedy.

I object to the casual slagging by people that don't read the paper, as Exigeken admits, having it banned from his shop at work.

At Dunblane, our paper was instrumental in the media pulling out of the town and NOT covering the funerals of the victims.

We certainly did not hound the family and friends involved in the McRae tragedy and we did not attend the funeral which was a pool arranged by the family and police for all UK media. Through the paper I met and photographed the great man many times, the last only a few weeks before his death on a piece exclusive for The Sun.

I have never been involved in "treating the dead will ill respect" and never will - I do have morals!

I'm not saying that the papers are whiter than white but you only need to look at the coverage by 24 hour tv news which is every bit as intrusive if not more.

Please can we have a wee bit more balance on here!
Yellow S2 Race Tech
Black Renault Trafic (with LPG conversion)

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:49 pm

I think the issue here is that it only seemed to have been the Sun that run the story (until Metro did that is).

In defense of the paper (I really can't believe i'm doing this, i'm the stereotypical "The sun is a horrid intrusive rag" kinda person) it's not so much the press that are to blame. Personally I blame the idiots that buy into these sorts of stories, which unfortunatly is the majority. The UK public are so obsessed with celebs and their shortfalls that sometimes i'm embarraed to be a member of this public.

Maybe it's slightly immoral, but if so many million people want to read about knickerless singers and the acts of now deceased people, then that's where the money must be :(

I'm not for censoring the media, but i think the feelings and mourning of family and friends of those in the accident is so much more important than 'the public must know everything' The Suns front page was tasteless, and frankly disgusting.
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...
'18 Mazda Mx5 - The wife's, so naturally my daily
'19 Ducati Monster 797 - Baby bike bike

ExigeKen

Post by ExigeKen » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:25 pm

You may object to the slagging but I am afraid I objected to the anti Liverpool stories published in the Sun after Hillsborough (and yes I have a long memory but then I knew people at Hillsborough), which showed no respect at all for the dead and I amongst many other found very offensive. Free speech is very much allowed in the UK thankfully and you are clearly entitled to your view just like I am to mine. I am sure that there are many people at your work who have similar morals to you and I was in no way targetting anyone on this forum.

Just now I am not interested in reading about whether Colin McRae did or did not have a licence just believe his family should be left to grieve in peace. Just my opinion.
2004 Exige S2 1.8 - Ardent Red

2003 RAV4 vvti 2.0 - Baleric Blue shiny version

Don't Fear The Reaper

Back on the road!