The tale of collection - Atom chat!

Anything goes in here.....
Andy G

The tale of collection - Atom chat!

Post by Andy G » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:48 pm

Friday afternoon - minimal amount of concentration is possible after a truely dire week, between work mares and splitting up with the bird, but now everything is focused on a boys outing with my dad!

Bail out of the office early, and Uncle Ron is on the phone for some chat about the arrival - he's gutted not to be making the trip.

I've been trying so hard not to think about the trip as I've been let down so many times with regards to Ariel and with the week I've been having something has to go right!

Anyway, head home to meet my Dad, taxi to the airport, fly to Bristol, hire a merc and stay at one of my mates - crash at 12.30am for a 7am start, but i'm so tired i'm straight to sleep.

Wake up wanting to go! Bouncing down the stairs to the Merc, sat nav set from Crewkerne, and then we're off. As usual end up competing with my Sat Nav's eta and beat it by 30 minutes - woops!

Grab some brekky and get to the factory for 9am. As we drive through the fence at the entrance (there's work being done) i glance right to the old workshop and office to see no lights - bugger - then look left - fall in love - there is R8 ATG sitting lit under the roller doors in the workshop! And it looks awesome! Its finally happened, 13 months after ordering!

Walk down and meet with the chaps for the handover, spend some time chatting to Simon about the changes, and my Dad is looking at the car awestruck - me too - its mine - f***!

Go through the handover chat, check round it, sign some docs, and then get in to my Ski gear for the drive - hop in with MP3 player plugged in to the intercom system and helmet on.

It starts on the button, and i shimmy up the drive - Dad's infront with the Merc and Sat Nav as we head for Bristol Airport to drop the rental off.

First impressions - well i pull out on to the road and as we take an immediate right, i get it sideways (new 48's in the damp) correct immediately, and its back in line - the steering feel makes the RLC feel a bit wooly - it is that good. I'm laughing outloud and the intercom means i can hear my laugh in the speaker system - weird!

Through the lanes i take it easy, but as the roads get A status, Dad starts overtaking - the Atom is stupidly fast - not hesitation, just instant go, and thats before 5k rpm - once v-tec kicks in - wooooooooooooo!

Robin would have been happy he wasn't in the pax for the next few miles :wink:

As we join the M5 I gun it up the 2 lane slip road and pass the Merc like its doing a brake test! Hit the m-way and give it some beans - massive poke and cars are vanishing all around.

I'm happily giggling away listening to my tunes in my dream car - happy days!

I scalp a few Porsches but am still following the Merc so don't prat about too much - have loads of people with camera phones taking pics, and waving at me!

We arrive at the rental return;

Drop the merc off and the Atom has some admirers while we pack. Drive off, making sure my Dad is strapped in - leave the car park mentioning to Dad that this is pretty quick - just as he's reponding i nail it round a left hander, slightly sideways through 2nd in to 3rd - and i calm down - hee hee - Dad looks a bit amused/shocked!

Hit the M5, point it North and try to keep around 90tuts to make the journey pass quicker - its after 12 so i want to do as much as possible in daylight - the tank will do about 160 miles, but by that stage your happy for a quick stop!

Scalp a Porsche Turbo, Corvette and SL500 on route to Manchester, simply in acceleration, but that are all waving and giving the car a thumbs up after :wink:

Stop the other side of Manchester and after a roadkill snack, Dad takes over the controls - he's driven the 111r a few times but thats about it, so i'm slightly nervy and theres rain ahead.

He's fine though, and 10 miles in he's enjoying the performance and despatching other cars with glee - the occassional giggle, and despite the carsh helmet you know he's smiling - its an awesome feeling.

I nearly doze off after that for 10 mins or so! Crash helmets are pretty comfy!

We hit the rain and Dad after saying he'd pull over actually has loads of confidence in the car so he continues - for 110 miles - only giving up the keys when i ask him to eventually - he confesses to hoping to drive it all the way - but its now dark and wet so i take over. And there was me wondering if this would be too extreme for him! I laugh when he cracks 120tuts, and then later when he proudly announces he's the first person to break the 100tut barrier in Scotland in it :) What have i created!!!

The lights are crap, the front wheels hiding the sharper corners from light and therefore vision, and I'm now trying to make it home. Its tipping down, visibility in the crash helmet is impaired and with on coming car lights very tricky. Still having a ball though - feeling it sliding here and there, having a few sideways moments, and trying not to engage the vtec due to the lack of grip on offer.

We hit the A68 (after Hawick, previously we'd been on the A7) and i know this road REALLY well - where the puddles sit well - and things are instantly better - 6pm and we're home! An Elise would have left us on the A7, but I'm just happy we've got back in 1 bit.

Mum has the fire on and Dad is off to raid the Whisky cupboard for some special drops - 25year old Talisker is out to celebrate an epic trip.......and R8ATG takes up its place in the garage! Looking awesome.

Dinner tastes very good, as does the wine!

Sunday, and I'm 38 miles south of Edinburgh, forecast is for heavy rain - back on the A68 though, I'm happy, rain bouncing off and over taking is just outrageous! SO much go!

Come up behind a focus after skipping past 2 cars and as he pulls in i nail 5th - wheelspin - and its stopped raining by this stage - hilarious! Went past the focus like I'd hit the afterburners though :D

All sorts of people waving as i hit Dalkeith and then Edinburgh - the chap in Lauder pertol station even knew what it was and asked if it was the new one, with the new engine mounts!

Hit the bypass, nail it - one thing I can't get used to is how fast your mirrors clear - its unreal!

Go and see Robin, Greg (who wants to dry hump it!), my cousin and then round to Lawrences who's invited some the boys round - i think Lawrence likes it :D

I've not really taken too many corners without some correction its so much fun - like Scottys 340rr but even more lunatic at 460kg's!

Gutted i'm off to NYC this wedesday and not taking it to KH, but that time will come and often! Delighted!
Last edited by Andy G on Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

jj

Post by jj » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:55 pm

Cool write up, its great to read things like this - people who dont like cars just dont get what the feeling of a new car is like :D

Glad its all gone well and looking forward to a run in it. 8) 8)

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:58 pm

Great write up!

Great car! 8)
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

ruadh08

Post by ruadh08 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:01 pm

Great report Andy, glad your enjoying the car.

Bet you cant wait to get it run in and on a dry track, it will be awesome.

Look forward to seeing you at KH,

Paul G
Paul G

The elder, occasionally more sensible member of "Team Still Game"

caleebra

Post by caleebra » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:05 pm

Great write up Andy, awesome 8) Not jealous at all ooh nooooooo! 8)
Lee
[flamesuit] VX220 owner[/flamesuit]

Shug

Post by Shug » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:05 pm

Class, mate :thumbsup

Can't wait to get a pax in that wee beasty 8)
2010 Honda VFR1200F
1990 Honda VFR400 NC30
2000 Honda VTR1000 SP1
2000 Kawasaki ZX-7R

JohnStewart

Post by JohnStewart » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:12 pm

Excellent stuff Andy - glad you got the car after so much waiting and false promises over delivery dates.

Just a pity you can't make KH this coming weekend either, but I;m sure if you spoke nicely to Robin, Lawrence, Tut etc, they would be more than happy to take it out on track for you to make sure it's all working well ;)

Enjoy!

John

DaveG

Post by DaveG » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:13 pm

Nice! :thumbsup

D
Sweet Zombie Jesus!

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:15 pm

Glad you got this ok, I feared you were going to say something disasterous had happened on the way home!! Looking forward to seeing this at KH, when you going up?

:D
24 hours in a day. 24 beers in a case ... coincidence?

woody

Post by woody » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:19 pm

Can't wait to see the car, top work :D :thumbsup

graeme

Post by graeme » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:13 pm

Great write up - I kid you not the hairs on my arms are standing up!

One day when I have a garage and oodles of lolly and some driving ability...

:D

Don't forget to update your sig now.

G

kenny

Post by kenny » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:22 pm

That's making me want an Atom! :D

pete
Vexatious Litigant

Post by pete » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:53 pm

--------------------------------------------------

This cut out and keep voucher entitles the bearer to UNLIMITED FREE TEA and BISCUITS (subject to availability - we don't often have biscuits) in Kilmarnock, to any Ariel Atom owner who wants to show off his new toy.

(Or just lend it to Shug for the weekend, he drives past on his way home, I'm sure he wouldn't mind dropping in with it???)
'99 - '03 Titanium S1 111S.
'03 - '10 Starlight Black S2 111S
'11 - '17 S2 135R
'17 - '19 S2 Exige S+
'23 - ?? Evora

BiggestNizzy

Post by BiggestNizzy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:05 pm

pete wrote:--------------------------------------------------

This cut out and keep voucher entitles the bearer to UNLIMITED FREE TEA and BISCUITS (subject to availability - we don't often have biscuits) in Kilmarnock, to any Ariel Atom owner who wants to show off his new toy.

(Or just lend it to Shug for the weekend, he drives past on his way home, I'm sure he wouldn't mind dropping in with it???)
and don't forget to visit mine as it's only 5 mins away ;)
I have tea cakes and caramel wafers ;);)
Sent from my ZX SPECTRUM +2A

craigs135s

Post by craigs135s » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:07 pm

Congrats on the new car mate. It looks 8) as feek. Must get a pax when your up at KH :wink:

Cheers
C
Europa
S2 Black 111r. Gone
S1 Exige. Gone.
S2 111s. Gone
S1 sport 135s. Gone